Thursday, November 9, 2017

Thoughts on Unfinished Journals: Why My Brain is Tired


Zeigarnik
Sprayed Ink Accordian Journal

Zeigarnik is the psychological fixation on unfinished tasks.  Zeigarnik explains why I spend so much time thinking about my unfinished journals.  You can read more about it and see some beautiful sketchbook pages here, on Laurie Doctor's blog.  She talks about how this is linked to procrastination, productivity, and multi-tasking.

Although I feel better knowing why I think about it and how to solve it, getting at the solution is harder than it looks.  (I already knew what the solution is - just finish them!)  Even before I read Laurie's article, I began to take the unfinished journals off my shelf and work on finishing them.

I'm trying to do them in the order in which they were started.  This is the first, an accordian journal just waiting for a few small entries to complete it.  

Now it is done:


And on the reverse:


Here's a close-up of a few of my favorite pages:







No comments: