Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Travel Sketching, Victoria, BC


I took a small sketchbook on my recent weekend trip to Victoria.  My travel watercolor kit is housed in an Altoids tin; the watercolors in a chewing gum tray.  I didn't do much sketching, but here is a shot out the window of the BC Ferry on the way over.

I thoroughly enjoyed Victoria on this trip.  Not so much the usual touristy bits, but some of the areas that were totally new to me were wonderful.  The Government House gardens, for example, are an unpublicized gem of the city.  There are some lovely neighborhoods in Victoria, and the city is just the right size for me.  It is more the size of Vancouver of my childhood, rather than the big city that we have become.

We stayed in a lovely Bed & Breakfast called Heathergate House.  Our little suite had a private entrance and I loved their approach to breakfast - they stocked our fridge with a variety of breakfast foods and we made our own when we wanted, without the fuss of a breakfast with strangers.  The courtyard with flowers is a beautiful place to sit, and the host and hostess are very nice.  I would definitely go back here.


No comments: