Saturday, April 18, 2015

Using Up Stuff


Some of my most creative moments lately occur when I'm determined to "use up" stuff.  It seems I spent 20 years accumulating paper craft supplies, and hoarding them because they were scarce.  Now I'm looking for ways to use them up.

At the same time, my current sketchbook is almost finished, and I planned on purchasing another just like it.  It wasn't expensive, and the paper is not ideal for wet media, although it will take some.  It has 160 pages of 128 gsm (72 lb) paper.  I've been finding it a good compromise because it doesn't seem too precious to use - If I just have time for a quick sketch I'm loathe to use the watercolor journal.

Today I decided to use up some paper supplies and make a sketchbook.  I gutted a hardcover book that the library was giving away and then sewed six signatures into the spine.  I used up a lot of flimsy card stock that I purchased several years ago when it was on sale at one of those big box craft stores.  (That was definitely a bargain that proved to be a waste of money.)  But it will be good enough to sketch on and there's plenty more where that came from!

No comments: