Sunday, November 3, 2013

Another Journal!

I know, how can I possibly need another journal?  When inspiration hits, though, it is hard to ignore. 

I was reading the Bow Valley Calligraphy Guild Magazine and was inspired to do calligraphy on black.  I remembered that I had a new journal with black pages.  I got it a few years ago and it has been waiting for just the right moment.  (Journals have personalities, right??)

The first page is done with a gel pen.  It was kind of a "warm up" page:

 
 Then I got out the gouache and a Speedball "B" nib.  "B" nibs have round ends which are perfect for doing the "text" hand:


Once I was warmed up with the pen, I wanted to do some black on white.  I modified some lower case italics to do them all on one line, as if they were capital letters.  I did a whole 8 1/2" x 11" sheet and then trimmed out a smaller rectangle:

 
So far, Make Art Every Day is going well!


2 comments:

marvia said...

This makes me want to go buy more pens and paper. Yikes. Love the handwriting and the sayings. Very uplifting. Keep at it ;)

Susan said...

Thanks, Marvia. How wonderful that I could inspire you! You've made my day, you have!