Yesterday I made a few Artist Trading Cards from my recent gelli printing session.
Sunday, January 14, 2018
Saturday, January 13, 2018
Although I love to play with art supplies, my time is usually a learning experience as well. Recently I tried out some new (to me) approaches to gelli printing, and learned a few lessons.
I worked on a dozen prints at once with just a few tools, allowing me to work in a my small space with the 8 x 10 gelli plate. I reworked some of my older prints too, so that I didn't end up with another bunch of new prints without an end game in mind.
Mostly I used a brush rather than a brayer to apply the paint, and I didn't mix the colors completely together. This resulted in much more texture. My favorite "stencil" is still sequin waste, and here I also used textured wallpaper. The black dots are just the end of the paint tube.
Often I printed just part of the plate, as you can see here with the black:
I drew in the paint too:
I managed to silence my inner critic, remembering that different prints are good for different things. Here, I lightened up some overly dark prints with some white paint so that I can stamp on them in black:
Some of these will be used for collage, some for handmade books, and some for artist trading cards or greeting cards.
Wednesday, January 10, 2018
There seems to be no end to the journals I have to make. Every time I see a new one on my interweb journey, it won't leave me in peace until I make it.
This one is made from a file folder, and includes kraft colored cardstock, tags, and scrapbook paper.
Thursday, January 4, 2018
My sister and I have begun a new calendar project. The theme for January is paper. I intended to do mine slowly, day by day, but Dianne tore ahead and covered all of her squares with paper and numbers. I stuck to my plan for three days, but this morning I could resist no more and started gluing things down. I'll add things (including numbers) as the month progresses, and I'm still playing with ideas for the top half of the calendar.
Tuesday, January 2, 2018
Monday, January 1, 2018
Not all of my crafty experiments are successful. But I'd like my blog to be a place that I can refer back to, so I'm posting these anyway. LOL
One of the January themes in the Vancouver ATC Group is altered playing cards. I wanted the playing cards to be visible, so I collaged a translucent napkin over them. I've tried various combinations of clip art and stamps but I'm not really happy with any of them. I like the Alice in Wonderland clip art but the images are quite pale and don't stand out with the vivid, busy background.
I did learn that I don't need to apply a layer of gel medium over top of the napkin; it stuck quite well just by applying a thin layer to the card and placing the napkin over the top.